Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Masterpiece Academy Question

-My Journey-
     Coming into this class on the first day of school was very intimidating for me. Not only was I new to the teacher and the Open Source Learning Program, but I was new to the whole entire school. Transferring high schools your senior year is not very ideal. While you have to worry about maintaining your grades and applying for colleges, you also have to worry about making new friends and adjusting to your new atmosphere. Meanwhile, the style of Open Source Learning and this course made it a much easier transition for me. This style of learning gives us students much freedom and a sense of trust. Unfortunately, many of us, including myself, would abuse this trust by not completing our work or just being lazy about it. But, could you really blame us? It's our senior year, and since we were little, we have always been placed in such a structured learning environment. The first time that we are not being hassled with points, deadlines, tests, and grades, we take advantage of this freedom. Although, I do think being presented by this much freedom in a classroom setting is much better to be  presented to seniors for the first time and not college freshmen. Next year, we will realize that if we want to succeed, we will need to push ourselves. No one's going to be there to hold our hands anymore. If we want success, we are going to have have to strive for it. 
     We have read many works this year that I have found relatable to my life. I relate to the Poisonwood Bible as I know how it feels to start off in a brand new place and to feel very foreign from everyone around you. Transferring from St. Joe's to Righetti as a senior can surely make you feel that way. In Brave New World, a main theme is the fast change in technology and advancements in our world and how we react to it. I, personally, am not a big fan of too much technology. I like the old-fashioned ways of writing letters and talking to people in person. With so many technological advances happening in society today, I can't help but wish for it to just all slow down sometimes.  In Pride and Prejudice, I learned that while everyone may not always agree with you, you must always do what you feel is right. This year, I have experienced some trouble listening to some of my peers talk so harshly about one another. It's something that really seems to bother me when I hear it and have learned to speak up for those who can't. It's not always easy, but it feels great when I build the courage to do so. I hope to build and carry on this courage throughout my life.
     Another thing that I hope to carry throughout my life is my love for nature. My masterpiece was based on hiking and the idea of being surrounded by nature's beauty. Following my two surgeries during the summer when I was thirteen, I was introduced to hiking. Since then, I have really grown to love it. If I'm ever having a hard day, there's something about climbing to the top of a mountain and feeling a sense of accomplishment while being surrounded by such beauty. It reminds you of all your blessings. Hikes are a good time for self-reflection and prayer. They're also a good way of bonding with friends or getting in a good workout. Spending the course of this year exploring new areas and hiking trails has really brought me back to my passion for hiking. I hope to never lose sight of this passion that brings me so much joy. 
     While working on my masterpiece brought me back to a passion of mine, seeing my classmates present their masterpieces opened my eyes to their passions and interests- something I loved to see. Seeing the way Ashlyn talked about Texas and how she knew so much about it made me so happy for her to enter her new journey this upcoming year at UTI. Seeing the way Omar opened up to our class and let us listen to him sing for the first time was so inspiring. Noah and Alec's presentation was also very inspiring.  They passionately talked about baseball and their drive to help little league players through umpiring. Joey's presentation that just showed a simple hobby of his made the whole classroom laugh (in a good way). Another thing that particularly made me laugh, was how Alec openly talked about taking psychedelic drugs in front of a teacher. But, he backed it up with so much thought, research, and passion that you couldn't help but be intrigued by his presentation. 
     I, personally, would not name myself a hero. I am just a young teenage girl who is anxious, yet frightened of her future. I'm anxious to learn new things and become somebody who means something to others. I can't wait to become a physical therapist and help those in need of recovery. Although, I am frightened by the journey it'll take to get there. It'll require me to step out of my comfort zone and challenge myself. I hope I build the courage I need to become all that I want to be in this world so that one day, somebody can call me their hero. 
     Until then, peace out Righetti! You gave me one memorable senior year. And lastly, thank you Dr. Preston for believing in all of us and giving us the opportunity to express our passions and aspirations before going out into the "real" world. 









No comments:

Post a Comment